Monday, November 16, 2009

Fort Hood Shooting

Almost 2 week had gone by since the shooting at Fort Hood. I first heard about the incident when I came home from school and checked my e-mail on yahoo. There it was a special live coverage on the shooting. At first I had no idea what was going on and how someone could enter a military base while being armed and no one knowing about it. At that point all I knew was there were 12 dead and 31 wounded soldiers. Later that night the identity of the shooter was release it was Major Nidal Malik Hasan. We had a discussing in my contemporary social problem class, know the shooter was a Muslim how hard is it not to jump to the conclusion or play the race card and says he a terrorists. The answer we came up with is even though we don’t want to jump to that conclusion that he a terrorist just because he a Muslim it hard not to. I talk to one of my friend about the shooting and he said that his dad think it a sleeper cell and that what I trying to point out. We don’t want to generalized someone cause of their race and religion but it hard not to. The news reported that Nidal Hasan was being closely watched by the army because of this weird action. As we discussed in class I think it’s a big red flag when someone sell all their belonging and empty out there whole apartment. Nidal Hasan was schedule to ship out the next day before the shooting. I don’t know why the army still wanted to ship him out when they know something is not right with him. There excuses was they thought it would be better for him to get ship out to Afghanistan so he could have some time to clam down.

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting. It is unjust to jump to conclusions, however it is very difficult not to. Human nature is to put individuals in a group that helps us to understand one's identity. This is called stereotyping. However it can cause the obvious problems as well.

    ReplyDelete